Sunday, January 15, 2012

I have a dream......

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
 Just wanted to swing by & share some of the resources I am using this week to celebrate the life of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. What a true American HERO!!! I'm just so thankful for his dream, courage, faith, and love!

P.S. Equality is spelled wrong in this video, but I still LOVE it!

 I'm planning on reading a lot of literature with my class about Dr. King! Here are a few of my favorite books!



 My sweeties will then take what they learned about Martin  Luther King and complete this bubble map.
 Then they will write up an informational piece about him using the facts on their bubble map.
 We'll also watch parts of the famous "I Have A Dream" speech and reflect on our dreams.

 I found this PRECIOUS idea from 1st Grade Decades on Pinterest...my newest online addiction. *side note*- You can follow my boards {HERE}!
Pinned Image

I'm going to let my students write about their dream on the writing paper below & put it inside their book! Too cute!!
You can download all of these printables {HERE}!

Hope you have a wonderful week!! I am so excited that Thursday is our 100th day of school!! This year is just flying by!! I have a fun giveaway in store for you in a few days to celebrate!! Woot! Woot! In the meantime, I'm having a BIG MLK DAY sale in my TpT store! Everything is 20% off from now until midnight tomorrow!! Happy Shopping!!

15 comments:

Johanna Tackitt said...

Hi there-thanks for your great finds and amazing freebies! COme on over to my blog when you get a chance and check out my Martin Luther King Jr. unit I just posted!

PS: John Legend has a great video/song called "In the name of love" -if you don't get to watch you tube google John Legend and Washington Post. It makes me cry every time!

☏Johanna
First Grade Fanatic!

Kim said...

Great resources! Thanks for sharing!

Kim
Growing Up Teaching

Barbara said...

Wow! Great stuff.

Barbara
Grade ONEderful

Lisa at Stories From Second said...

Thanks so much for your MLK book roundup. I don't have a lot of books about Dr. King and I'm happy to a list to file away for next year! :) All your activities look wonderful!
Lisa
Stories From Second

Jamie said...

Awesome resources! Thanks so much for the freebies!

Jamie at 2nd Grade Stuff

laughinbrunette (Jennifer) said...

We read "Happy Birthday, Martin Luther King" Friday...really a good book!
Jennifer
First Grade Blue SKies

meadowt said...

Great resources!! I am going to use your writing sheet and make the hand print page too!! Thanks so much for sharing!
Barbara
happyteachingfirst.blogspot.com

Amber Unger said...

I'm so bummed I found your great resources AFTER our MLK, Jr. unit. Oh well, I will save them for next year! Thank you so much for sharing these freebies! :)

lesels said...

Great resources Anna! Thanks so much!

Jan said...

Great collection of reources and activities- thanks for sharing!

Anna Brantley said...

I'm so glad you like the activities!! Thanks for all of your sweet comments:)

Mrs. Cupcake said...

Great printables, thank you!!

A Cupcake for the Teacher

Chrissy said...

Thanks for the printables. The bubble map is perfect for my class. Thanks for sharing!
-Chrissy
http://firstgradefoundme.blogspot.com

Erin Copeland said...

Thank you so much for your wonderful ideas and freebies! :)

Alice Lewis said...

Well! You have Great resources and you have great collection. I also visited your some other articles which show your hard work and seriousness with this blog. I am going to use your writing sheet and make the hand print page too! Actually, I'm searching about Online Math Practice for my son while searching i come across your blog which i found very helpful. I would like to say Thanks for sharing such a awesome article. Keep it Up.