Friday, November 18, 2011

Gobble Goodies :)

Hey y'all!!! I know it has been forever since I last posted, but Strep throat hit my house BIG time this week! Ouch!! I swear that stuff is WAY worse as an adult!! On top of that, my little boy had to have an MRI yesterday because his pedi has been concerned about his very large head since he was 9 months old. He was sedated for the procedure, which scared the mess out of me & my hubs, but all went well...especially when his pedi called to let us know everything was normal this afternoon...BLESSED! Our sweet little guy just has the big head family gene, thank the Lord!!

Okay, now to the teacher stuff!! We've had turkey fever this week in my classroom. One of my favorite activities is a fun project where my kiddos disguise a turkey. I send it home, but you could easily do it in your classroom, too. I loved every minute of seeing how proud my students were when they shared their turkeys!!  I think they turned out SO cute!! Here are some pictures of our disguised turkeys!!

Artist Turkey

Bride Turkey

Chick-fil-A Turkey

 Georgia Power Turkey

GA Bulldogs Turkey

GA Cheerleader Turkey

Santa Turkey

Johnny Appleseed Turkey

Tae Kwon Do Turkey

New York Yankees Turkey

Gymnast Turkey

Princess Turkey

Baby Turkey
 

Super Model Turkey

Moon Turkey
Adorable, huh?!?!?! They just continue to make me smile....
 I found this activity a few years ago on an amazing website-Mrs.Nelson's Class. She has the turkey printable I used {printed them on cardstock}, as well as a parent letter to send home to explain the project for FREE!! That's right, FREE!!! Thank you, Mrs. Nelson!!!

I also found this sweet Handy Turkey activity from Mrs. Nelson's site that I plan to do next week. You can get the printable for FREE {HERE}!! Just scroll down until you see it!! Precious!!!

Hand Turkey

Since informational writing is our focus in writing right now, we also wrote interesting turkey facts in these "I Am Stuffed with Facts About Turkeys" books!

I don't have patterns for the book. I just free handed the feathers, folded a large piece of brown paper {w/ writing paper inside}, cut strips of brown paper for the legs, and let the kids cut out & decorate their own turkey head! Super simple to prepare!! 

 In math, we had fun making number combination turkeys. You can easily differentiate this activity by giving your kiddos different numbers to use. Again, I do not have patterns for this. SORRY!! I just used a die cut machine at my school for the circles {one small and one big}, traced & cut out the feathers, made triangle beaks, and a little red construction paper wattle.

How do I wrap up a week learning all about turkeys on a SWEET note? With Turkey Cookies, of course!!!

 To make these all you need are:
-chocolate chips (eyes)
-white icing (glue)
-sugar cookies(one cookie per child)
-candy corn (feathers)

- a small piece of a red Twizzler (wattle)
-Nutter Butter cookies (head)
 Delicious FUN!!!

What's even sweeter though is this "vase of flowers" one of my students brought me as we were leaving the playground this week!!! Melt my heart!! I have the BEST job in the world!! 

6 comments:

Grade ONEderful said...

Your turkeys in disguise are hilarious. I love 'em! Thanks for sharing.
Barbara

Rachelle said...

ohmyword! ADORABLE!!! I {heart} the Georgia Power one! Ha!!!!
-Rachelle
whattheteacherwants.blogspot.com

Ms. Chrissy B said...

Love the nutter butter turkey, and your turkeys in disguise are super cute. I really like the Yankees one. You should take a look at my blog - my friend did the same project, and I had to post a couple of them because they were so funny!

Buzzing with Ms. B

Jennifer said...

Love your turkey activities. The turkeys in disguise are soooo cute!! Thanks for sharing them! I also love the nutter butter cookie turkeys!!

Jennifer A.

Jenn Bates said...

Anna,
SO glad your son is okay. My son had a big head too but he grew into it. :-) Adorable turkeys! I do that project too and it is one of my favorites!
Jenn
Finally in First

Malarie said...

How cute were those turkeys?! I loved the baby one with the diaper lol Thanks for sharing :)

www.youcanmakethesunshineanytime.blogspot.com